What is the church?
From the teachings of the Holy Bible, the word “church” comes from the Greek work Ekklesia and it means: “the called out ones”. The church is a group of people who follows Jesus Christ and are called to assemble and be unified. They are defined by a distinct purpose which is to bring glory to their Creator and be a witness of God’s power and love to the physical and spiritual world.
There is a process in building a church and Jesus Christ must be in the midst of that process. This does not refer to the building of an actual physical structure, but rather the church is the people themselves. The church must also be on guard because there are forces from within and forces from without that are trying to destroy the church.
The church is:
1. A group of believers in which Christ dwells
2. Bride of Christ
3. Body of Christ Eph. 4:15-16
Why is esteeming the church important?
1. God created it. It is a part of His plan for the world. God has a greater purpose for the church than we understand. God assigns the highest value for His church – His people.
2. Christ is the head of the church. That makes it pretty important!
3. The church is the expression of Christ on earth.
4. Christians are a part of the church and they have a responsibility toward it and a role to play in it.
If Christians don’t value the church, then they don’t value themselves because they are the church!
Christians must guard themselves from bailing out on their local church. Christians should not become their “personal church” or think they can benefit from church by watching it virtually. Christians should not forsake meeting together. They should also refrain from “steaming” the church and being critics who sit on the sidelines.
How can you esteem the church?
1. Take an active role in a local church
2. Befriend and encourage church leaders and members.
3. Partner with a local church and make it a part of your life. Seek input and perspectives on life from the local church.
It is important that Christians avoid the mentality of “What can I get from the local church?” but rather, “What can I do for the local church?” Also, esteem your church leaders. When was the last time you expressed appreciation for their hard work?
The church is a part of God’s plan for the world. That makes it rather important. The Bible clearly states that God will use the church to accomplish His purposes. Whatever you do and wherever you live, the local church should be a part of your life. You will be blessed.